Sunday, October 27, 2019

Herb Ritts

Herb Ritt's main focus in his photography is on human beings and the body. Nude photographs are fairly common in his work and he will use objects to help emphasis the human form. He also has a number of photographs focusing on the subject's face. He has very few photos that primarily feature animals so they feel a tad out of place alongside the rest of his work. The majority of his photographs are also in black and white with a smaller portion of the total work being in color.

His photographs are very intentionally framed and directed. While none of them looked particularly forced they were very deliberately framed. That's not a bad thing since this is a professional-level photographer. He takes care of how they're presented making sure only the negatives are in view, he doesn't go for the haphazard presentation. When his photographs have more than one figure he has a tendency to group them in close proximity.

 I'm not really sure how I feel about Ritt's work, I definitely don't hate it. I'd say that I find a lot his work intriguing, I'd say I prefer his black and white photos over the colored ones, but the subject for the black and white ones tend to be more varied so that's a bit unfair. The way he groups people up in really interesting to me. I also tend to dislike most nude photography but Ritt's more tolerable I guess. I'd say it's probably because of how it's used compared to a lot of other photographers I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment